What Is Skinimalism?
Skinimalism (Skin Minimalism) is a new skincare trend that the use of multi-functional products that can deliver multiple benefits in one step for healthy and glowing skin. “less is more”. It’s about simplifying your skincare routine and focusing on nourishing your skin with hybrid high-quality products and safe ingredients that support health & beauty in one. This trend has gained popularity due to the growing interest in natural and sustainable beauty, as well as a desire for a more minimalistic lifestyle.
Dr. Melissa Levin, a New York-based dermatologist says: “It’s about shifting the focus from perfecting your skin to nurturing and maintaining it.”
Science Behind Skinimalism
The skin is a complex organ that has a delicate balance of moisture, oils, and other components. By using products in moderation, you help maintain a healthy skin barrier and keep your skin looking and feeling its best.
Research has shown that the overuse of certain skincare products, such as exfoliants can damage the skin barrier and lead to dryness, redness, and other issues. For example, a study published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology found that overuse of topical corticosteroids, a common treatment for skin conditions like eczema, can lead to thinning of the skin and other issues.
Dr. Ranella Hirsch is a board-certified dermatologist who has also endorsed the skinimalism trend, stating that it’s important to use a minimal number of products that are specifically tailored to your skin type and concerns. She believes that using too many products can actually be harmful to the skin and that a minimalist routine can help to maintain a healthy skin barrier and prevent issues like dryness and irritation.
Skinimalism Case Studies
In addition to its popularity among consumers, the skinimalism trend has also gained traction on social media. Artists and beauty experts share their own simplified skincare routines and tips for achieving healthy, glowing skin.
Jennifer Aniston, 54 years old, has spoken about how she has simplified her routine & focusing on gentle cleansing and hydration.
She always believes in the “less is more” concept and follows the K.I.S.S Method of “Keep it simple, stupid”. Jennifer explained in her interviews that she mainly uses cleansers, sunscreen, moisturizers as main products, and toner & serums as sub-products. When it comes to daily makeup; she wears concealer and lip balm. Jennifer Aniston still looks gorgeous beautiful, and enchanting as ever.
In pictures, this is how Jennifer kept her skin healthy, glowing, and young:
Kate Hudson, 43 years old, is an American actress, author, and entrepreneur. She has been an advocate for clean beauty and minimal skincare.
In an interview with Glamour, Hudson shared “No one had ever told me what was in my products,”.
“It was the first time I learned about parabens and all of the things that we don’t really want to be putting on our skin too often. Environmentally there’s a shift, and it’s contributing to certain illnesses and diseases. I decided, whatever I can control, I’m going to change the way that I approach it. And so skincare and makeup is number one.”
How to Get Started & What are the Essential Products?
Dermaliscio’s experts welcome your inquiries about any of them.
Step 1: Know your Skin Type and Concerns
First of all, it’s important to understand your skin type and concerns. Knowing your skin type can help you choose the right products and develop a routine that works for you. Some common skin types include oily, dry, combination, and sensitive.
Step 2: Look for Safe Ingredients
Secondly, when choosing skincare products, look for safe and organic ingredients. According to a study by the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, natural ingredients are less likely to cause irritation and can be gentler on the skin.
Step 3: Streamline your Routine, These are the basics
- Cleanser: “Skin cleansers are surface-active substances (i.e. emulsifiers/detergents/surfactants/soaps) that lower the surface tension on the skin and remove dirt, sebum, oil from cosmetic products, microorganisms, and exfoliated corneum cells in an emulsified form.” – NIH, Partha Mukhopadhyay (Consultant Dermatologist).
- Moisturizer: ” moisturizers also function as vehicles to deliver ingredients to the skin. These ingredients may be vitamins, botanical antioxidants, peptides, skin-lightening agents, botanical anti-inflammatories, or exfoliants.” – NIH
- Sunscreen: ” Sunscreen use can help prevent skin cancer by protecting you from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, Sunscreen can also help prevent premature skin aging, such as wrinkles and age spots, caused by too much-unprotected UV exposure.” – American Academy of Dermatology Association
- Protect the skin from sunburn
- Reducing the risk of skin cancer
- Reducing spots on the skin due to the sun
- Reducing the signs of aging
If you have skin concerns, you can add serums & exfoliators:
- Serum: ” Designed to nourish, protect, and hydrate your skin, a face serum is a great next step after cleansing and before moisturizing. Some serums help to brighten your skin or reduce blemishes, while others focus on boosting hydration or fighting the signs of aging. – Healthline
- Exfoliator: “Exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin using a chemical, granular substance, or exfoliation tool. Your skin naturally sheds dead skin cells to make room for new cells every 30 days or so. Sometimes, dead cells don’t shed completely. This can result in dry, flaky patches and clogged pores. Exfoliating can help prevent this.” – Healthline
Dermaliscio Embraces Skinimalism in Makeup Too!
Dermaliscio’s vision is to empower women prioritizing their health and beauty needs by providing high-quality products that combine both benefits in one. Furthermore, Our innovative approach to cosmetics means that our products are designed with both beauty and health in mind.
For example, our lipsticks not only add a pop of color but also contain nourishing ingredients like Shea butter, coconut oil, and hyaluronic acid to keep your lips healthy and moisturized.
Our Foundation covers & contains a touch of moisturizing and nourishing ingredients that give coverage with UV filters and Antioxidants.
Our Eye shadow Palettes with a silicon and talc-free formula to preserve your eyelids. Moreover, to indulge and play with the colors without harming the sensitive skin around your eyes
We aim to minimize the number of products women need in their beauty routines, making it easier to achieve their desired results. This approach aligns with the growing trend of skinimalism, where consumers prioritize simplicity and natural beauty.
Embrace your Natural Beauty
Skinimalism is not just about simplifying your skincare routine, but also embracing your natural beauty. Instead of focusing on achieving flawless skin, embrace your imperfections and celebrate what makes you unique. As Alicia Keys once said, “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.”
It’s time to take the first step towards skinimalism. Contact the Dermaliscio team & choose the right hybrid products for your skin’s health & beauty and your budget.